When the poster came out I called it the 'anti-box office' poster. Why? Simple: The poster looks dumb and the movie is about a romance between a 35 year old man and a 19 year old girl who's in college and it's scheduled for a September 14 release, right when everyone goes back to school.
So, who's going to want to see this? Young people who really don't care about movies that are pure romances, or young people who are just about to go back to college/high school?
Doesn't make much sense. Thing is, the trailer doesn't help because there is no other plot detailed. It would appear the only conflict is the guy is 35 and the chick is 19 and...that ain't a dramatic core you can build a movie around. As I said before, if a (way) older man fell for a 19 year old chick in college you might have a movie: Harrison Ford has a thing with Elizabeth Olsen against a picturesque Ivy League backdrop -- that people might go for. But, Josh Radnor and Elizabeth Olsen?
Nobody cares if he's 35 and she's 19. This isn't 1950. This is 2012. Nobody would care if they made a sex tape, put it on YouTube, and it went viral. (Oh, crap, that's a good idea. Note to self: Sketch a screenplay about a couple whose sex tape goes viral).
Plus, the target audience won't even realize what's going on. It won't register to them. To the target demo this movie is nothing but a couple in college going on dates and walks in the park and talking a lot.
Plus, nobody who is about to go back to school wants to see a movie set in college. Plus, older people won't want to see this. Plus, guys (of any age) are not going to turn out. I'm not sure there is an appeal for any other demo, either.
Lastly, there's the title. 'Liberal Arts' just won't sell tickets. Anything, 'My College Girlfriend' for instance, would be better.
Conclusion: 'My College Girlfriend' with Harrison Ford and some young cutie who may or may not make a sex tape that may or may not go viral might be worth making/seeing -- but not 'Liberal Arts'.
- ► 2013 (568)
- Flags and Muscle Car Poster for 'Killing Them Soft...
- Trailer for the Restored 'Lawrence of Arabia'
- Red Band Phanal Clip from 'For a Good Time, Call'
- Trailer for 'The Comedy'...A Drama
- New Trailer for 'This Must Be The Place'
- New Stills from 'Sinister'
- Trailer for 'Fin' (The End)
- Click Click Red Band Trailer for 'Seven Psychopath...
- Poster/Trailer for 'Snowman's Land'
- 'V/H/S' Sneak Peek
- Trailer for Robert Redford's 'The Company You Keep...
- Trailer for 'The Iceman'
- MotoArt Short Films by Vincent Laforet
- 'Tower Block'
- Not Cheesy?
- Red Band Trailer for 'The To Do List'
- Spanish Poster for 'The Impossible'
- Poster/Trailer for 'How to Make Money Selling Drug...
- Poster for 'Butter'
- One Last Trailer for 'The Master'
- More 'Looper' Eye Candy
- New Trailer for 'Django Unchained'
- Another Funny Clip from 'The Revenant'
- Clips from 'The Apparition'
- Another Uncompromising Poster for 'The Master'
- New Poster for 'Life of Pi'
- 'Dredd' Super Slo-Mo Featurette
- 'For a Good Time, Call...' Clips
- New On-The-Nose 'Killing Them Softly' Poster
- Wha? 'Butter'? Really?
- Trailer for De Palma's Very Blue 'Passion'
- Insanely Funny! (Hey, I Didn't Say It. That Would ...
- 'Lawless' Finally Gets Good Posters
- New Clips from James Franco and Ashley Hinshaw's '...
- Official 'Looper' Posters Can't Keep Up With Fanma...
- Nice Comfortable Clips from 'The Revenant'
- New Poster for 'The Sessions'
- Trailer/Poster for 'Hollow'
- 2nd Trailer for 'End of Watch' Looks to be Right D...
- Red Band Trailer for 'The Revenant'
- Poster for 'Lincoln'
- 'Lawless' Finally Gets a Good (Red Band) Trailer
- Trailer for Stacy Peralta's 'Bones Brigade: An Aut...
- Trailer for Cusack/Cage Serial Killer Thriller 'Fr...
- 'Hit & Run' Clips
- Clips from 'The Words'
- New Trailer for 'The Impossible'
- 'Heretic' Poster/Trailer
- New Trailer for 'Hemorrhage'
- Olly Knights Music Video
- Clip from 'The Expendables 2'
- Clip from 'Cherry'
- '10 Years' Trailer
- 'Expendables 2' Review
- Charming Clip from 'Robot & Frank'
- Trailer for Arnold Schwarzenegger's 'The Last Stan...
- Must-See Make-Your-Day Featurette for 'ParaNorman'...
- Cinematography by Mihai Malaimare Jr.
- 'The Master' Promo
- Clip from 'The Expendables 2'
- Origin of 'Dredd' Featurette
- Quiet Deep Trailer for 'In The Fog'
- Clip from 'The Possession'
- Shooting Joseph Gordon-Levitt's 'Don Jon's Addicti...
- New Fanmade Poster for 'Looper'
- Music Featurette for 'Looper'
- Jazzy, Elegant, Lovely International Trailer for '...
- Mondo Poster for 'The Raid: Redemption'
- Totally Wow Trailer for 'ParaNorman'
- Trailer for 'Seven Psychopaths'
- Red Band Trailer for 'End of Watch'
- Popcorn Rental
- Trailer/Poster for 'Keep The Lights On'
- Poster/Trailer for 'I Declare War'
- Creepy Creepy Clip from 'The Awakening'
- 'Hemorrhage' Trailer/Poster
- Spanish Poster for 'The Watch'
- Clip from '[REC]³ Génesis'
- More Fan Posters for 'Looper'
- Trailer for Norwegian Thriller 'Escape' (Flukt)
- Poster for 'Trouble with the Curve'
- French Poster for 'The Bourne Legacy'
- Movie Break: First 10 Minutes of 'The Awakening'
- Clip from 'The Awakening'
- Wall to Wall 'Skyfall'
- Blistering First Poster and Trailer for Brandon Cr...
- The Bourne Misunderstanding
- Brilliant Clips from 'ParaNorman'
- Must-See Stop-Motion Short Film 'Batman: Dark Knig...
- New Posters for 'A Royal Affair'
- Yes! Very Chewy Trailer for Suspense Thriller 'The...
- Trailer for 'Trouble With the Curve'
- Sappy Trailer for 'Playing for Keeps'
- 'Robot and Frank' International Trailer
- New Trailer for 'This is 40'
- First Look at Daniel Day-Lewis as 'Lincoln'
- Fanmade Poster for 'Looper'
- Tom Hodge's Poster for John Carpenter's 'They Live...
- 'Cockneys vs. Zombies' Trailer
- New Poster for PT Anderson's 'The Master'
- ▼ August (131)
- ► 2011 (1761)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)