Thursday, August 26, 2010

Another Nail

Netflix announces its app for the iPhone and iPod. Now, you can stream movies on the go for $8.99 a month.

Don't know what this means for theater attendance. If movies are available day and date on an iPod, will people watch them that way?

There's a lot of backlash to the whole 'theaters are history' thing, but, if you owned a theater (or a chain of them) would you like Netflix's new app? If it were me, I'd sell and go into digital distribution. I know...I'm not you, but I'm just saying, is all.

I suppose you could assume everything will be hunky dory (yes, that's the correct spelling), that people will continue to flock to theaters despite increasingly convenient (and instant, and cheaper) viewing options, but it doesn't seem prudent.

If me and a friend were out on a Friday afternoon and wanted to see the new thriller opening that weekend, and didn't want to leave the bar we had ensconced ourselves in, I could watch on an iPod. Order another pitcher and enjoy the flick. Why not? Who needs to drive across town (or even a few blocks), pay, what?, $10-20 per person, to see the movie when you can just stream it from Netflix, or some other service, on your iPhone, or iPod, or some other device, instantly, right there, from your comfy table, at a really good price.

Of course, that kind of comprehensive day and date across-the-board, all media devices release may never become a reality. Never. Right? I'm just saying, is all...





No comments:

Blog Archive