Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tobias on 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice'

Scott Tobias reviews 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' for NPR. A couple comments caught my eye:

In their early scenes together, teacher and apprentice have an appealing chemistry, with Cage reading every line with a deep wisdom-of-the-ages inflection, and Baruchel responding with sheepish half-shrugs and wisecracks.

and

It isn't long, however, before the centuries-old blood feud in The Sorcerer's Apprentice has to be satisfied, which means a procession of noisy, chaotic effects sequences where wizards make grand pronouncements and zip multicolored light beams at each other.

That has to describe nearly every scene in the movie.

So now, I feel like I've seen the whole thing. No need to go. Don't have to overload my senses, risk permanent hearing loss, or squirm in my seat for ninety minutes waiting to get out of the theater. What a relief.

Thank you, Mr. Tobias.




No comments:

Blog Archive