David Lowery has a command of the medium. It shows in every second of footage I've seen from 'Ain't Them Bodies Saints'.
Anne Thompson did an interview with the director (very worth watching) in which he said he wanted each shot to have a purpose, and you certainly feel that. I haven't seen pure fluff shots from Lowery.
Lowery shoots so that you want to know what's just out of frame. How that is an indicator of good camera work I don't know, but I've noticed the same sort of thing in (good) movies that aren't shot with classical camera technique -- ones that use a lot of hand-held camera. Conversely, if you're wondering what's out of frame in a movie with classical camera work, it's often a sign of poor framing (although there must be times when everything is done just so and you still want to know what's out of frame).
Thompson mentions how Lowery has been compared to Terrence Malick. You can see the similarity but, to me, Lowery's work has more forward motion. You wonder what's going to happen next.
Malick's camera often meanders. Lowery's camera just looks like it's meandering when, really, it's purposeful and precise.
- Here's A Story
- Mitty Soars
- Non-Digital, Gritty
- Another Mesmerizing Trailer for 'The Turning'
- A Remake That's Looks Better Than The Original
- Come On. He Kills The Monster While Saving A Puppy...
- 'Dallas Buyers Club' Trailer
- New Trailer for 'Carrie'
- Kevin Spacey Re: TV/Movies/Content/Story And Givin...
- Asian and German Trailers for 'Captain Phillips'
- 'The Monuments Men' Poster -- Sometimes, All You N...
- The Buzz Of The Day: You Know Who Will Play You Kn...
- 'All The Boys Love Mandy Lane' -- Finished in 2006...
- 'Thanks for Sharing' International Trailer
- Another 'Dark' Film? Enough With The Dark.
- A Gripping Featurette?
- Title and Plot A Little Cheesy But, Wow, Classy Po...
- 'Parkland' Trailer
- International Pressure-Cooker Trailer for 'The Cou...
- 'Taken' With Fast Cars -- aka -- 'Getaway'
- The Best Thing On The Web Right Now -- 'Squirrels'...
- What's Going To Happen Next
- (Really Nice) International Poster for '2 Guns'
- Beautiful, Elegant, Smart
- 'Don Jon' Strikes Again
- What Is 'The Further' And Why Should We Care?
- A Threesome Is...Two Thousand Bucks
- Arresting Image
- Drop Everything Trailer for 'The Monuments Men'
- How Often is a Trailer Engrossing?
- Lots Of Potential
- Nice Clips
- 'Don Jon' Sneaking Up
- More Action, Less Social Commentary
- Okay, I'll Watch. Trailer for Diablo Cody's 'Parad...
- Remember, It's "Lee Daniels' The Butler"
- Sometimes, Something Good Comes Along. Trailer for...
- Remember, It's A Red Band Trailer
- ▼ August (38)
- ► 2012 (1471)
- ► 2011 (1761)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)