Yesterday, we got some stills from 'The Lone Ranger' which looked just as silly as the first picture. I'm not able to see how anybody, especially kids who don't even know who/what the Lone Ranger is, will want to see this.
Today, we get a poster which reflects much the same attitude on the part of whoever designed it. This says 'so what'. "Never take off the mask" means nothing to anyone and doesn't reflect any action taken by a hero figure or theme (unless the movie is about not being known). No kid is going to say 'Look! I'm never taking this mask off!' Or, 'When I grow up I want to always wear a mask!'
It's not clear whose eyes we're looking at, which yields kind of a creepy/edgy conceptual tone that doesn't fit with this type movie. The flaking paint motif will not appeal to kids -- that just says 'old timey' and kids ain't interested in seeing that, especially considering there will be top-drawer competition vying for box office dollars come summer next year.
This poster constitutes strike 2 in a completely flat campaign that's not generating any 'buzz' other than utilitarian comments noting the movie is being prepared for release.
I've never understood this product, not as a major movie. It came as no surprise when they killed the production. But then, it came back to life. I thought for sure it would never go in front of cameras and would end up cancelled again. But, no. And, here we are a year or so later, and it's not looking great. Really, it's looking like something that should have stayed cancelled.
If the draw in this country is hard to figure, the appeal overseas, where bloated budgets tend to get paid for more and more these days, is even more difficult to pin down. Who will to want to see 'The Lone Ranger' in China? Will that mean anything to people in Germany or Russia?
We should be getting a teaser trailer soon. That'll be telling. Strike 3 or the first step in the right direction? Will this be Disney's 2013 'John Carter' or can TLR possibly score?
- ► 2013 (568)
- Yeah. Push 'Star Wars 7' Back a Couple Years. Make...
- Megan Fox for Acer
- Witch Uniforms Have Changed...
- Another Bad Light Fixture
- Drones But It's Fun To Watch
- Japan: A Skier's Journey Ep 1
- Sexual Subtext
- Twisted and Gnarled
- Kubrick at LACMA
- Spoiler Alert: John Dies At The End
- With a Face Like That I'd be Angry Too
- Short Short Gerard Butler
- Way-Back Poster for 'Django Unchained'
- Arnold in 'Ten'
- Dew on Insects
- "Let Me Touch You With My Words. For My Hands Are ...
- Great Posters. Hope The Movie is Good.
- New Look at 'Citadel'
- No Shootouts? What? Are We Making French Movies No...
- Lonely Cabin in Middle of Woods? Check. Secret Tra...
- Beautiful Spanish Poster for 'Django Unchained'
- Smooth Is More Important Than Fast. More Important...
- A Few New 'IM3' Stills
- Didn't See That Coming
- Denzel Talks Character in 'Flight'
- Smart Writing Avoids Being Too Smart
- Ooh. A Look at 'Iron Man 3'
- The Sea Water Drinkers
- Reviews Are Bad
- Minimalist, Good
- Glossy But Still Not Getting The Hook
- 'Django Unchained' Character Posters
- Oof. International Trailer for 'Mama'
- Skyfall/Omega Watch Commercial
- International Trailer for 'Killing Them Softly'
- Spooky Tree
- You Will Like 'Jack Reacher'. Oh, Yes You Will.
- Alan Arkin Gets The Line(s) Of The Year
- Making of Pi
- 'Carrie' Tease
- Clip from Trainfall. I Mean 'Skyfall'
- Asian 'Flight'
- What Was That Girl's Name Again?
- "Argo Fuck Yourself"
- Airbrushy, Too Smooth, No Hook
- Pure Atmosphere And Innuendo
- Buttery Popcorn Crowd-Pleaser Trailer for 'Flight'...
- In Your Face -- Or, Put Your Cards On The Table Po...
- On X-Mas?
- 'American Horror Story: Asylum' - First Five Minut...
- Poster for 'Gangster Squad'
- 'You've Got Nudity In Here!'
- Beautiful French 'Looper' Poster
- Stills From 'Hitchcock' Nail The Look
- 'Hitchcock' Gets Classic Shattered Glass Poster
- Karenina's Contemporary Vibe
- If It Wasn't A True Story, If It Didn't Really Act...
- Poster/Trailer for Shakespeare Doc 'Last Will & Te...
- New 'Zero Dark Thirty' Images Just Have That Look
- Chris Walken Cooks Chicken With Pears (Again, But ...
- A Few New Posters for 'Seven Psychopaths'
- Clip From 'The Sessions' Doesn't Miss A Beat
- JJ Abrams Shows The First Clip from 'Star Trek Int...
- You Gotta Love It
- Particularly Good Spot
- Shooting The Bad Life: 'Malavita'
- Very Assured
- Drop Everything. The New Trailer for 'Stoker'
- The Poster Was Broken But The Trailer Hums
- How Do You Spell Tom Cruise in Russian?
- The Die Hard Thing
- Kinda Works
- Strike 3?
- Straight From The 80s
- This Is Just A Slap In The Face
- Yeah, Probably The Best Thing You'll See All Day. ...
- Yes. That's Right. It's Actually Good.
- Is It Just Me...
- 'The Croods'
- 'Sinister': Like Someone Rediscovered Creepy In A ...
- Strike 2 -- Or -- John Carter 2013
- Great New Poster for 'The Sessions'
- 'Seven Psychopaths' Featurette
- One To Remember
- Javier Bardem: Gets The Worst Hair But Plays The B...
- Flat Poster for 'Zero Dark Thirty'
- 'Frankenweenie' Monster Movie Homage Posters
- People Will Want To See This?
- ▼ October (89)
- ► 2011 (1761)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)