Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Posters for 'Seeking Justice'

You have to pick and choose to find stuff to like about the rollout of Nic Cage's upcoming action flick 'Seeking Justice'. That title, for instance, is too literal. It may as well be 'A Man Seeking Justice (Against Difficult Odds)'. And seeking is so passive -- 'Excuse me. I'm looking for my justice. I'm seeking it... Have you seen it? I'd really like to find it. Never mind. I probably dropped it on the lawn when I got out of my car. Sorry to have bothered you. I'll excuse myself, thank you.'

I don't see anything wrong with the original working title, 'Hungry Rabbit Jumps'. That's maybe a bit cerebral but it's got pizazz, to be sure, and it's way more confident.

Posters have also been hit and miss. Here's the US teaser:


Now, that's just difficult to look at. The double red lines are really tacky disco-sexy 70s or maybe faux avant garde 60s? -- they're dated. Mr. Cage's slump is far too serious and perhaps even self-pitying. Looks like he's about to throw in the towel, go home, have a few brews and watch the game.

Layout also has problems -- does January Jones really have to be positioned just so, with that expression? He's looking at her, she's looking at his crotch...(sigh). If her head were turned just a bit more we'd have a real embarrassment. And, Guy Pearce with that pose: 'I've got my gun ready! See?' And, the title? Are we talking 'Justice' or 'Seeking Justice' here? Not a great effort.

Here's the international teaser:


Okay, better, but generic. Hard to get a feel for what's going on. Suffers from 'non-design'.

But, now on the French poster, which just landed:


Have to say, 'yes'. I even like the title, 'Le Pacte'. I'm assuming that means 'The Pact'. Gets the point across and is far better than the whole 'Justice' thing. It even eliminates the wishy-washy 'Seeking' element. Nice.

Now, we wait for trailers. Hope they show more focus.















No comments:

Blog Archive