Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Young Cannibal


Gaspard Ulliel as Hannibal Lector in Hannibal Rising Directed by Peter WebberGaspard Ulliel portrays a young Hannibal Lector in "Hannibal Rising", the new prequel directed by Peter Webber. The trailers I've seen are of the 'quick-cut' variety, not disclosing much plot or hinting at character development. Usually, this is because such movies do not have too much of these qualities to disclose, and it looks like 'Rising' will not endanger the status the venerable "Silence of the Lambs".

On the plus side, the trailer boasts some lush production value and titillating imagery, and this picture should be a feather in Webber's cap. Webber is best known for "Girl with a Pearl Earring", which won critical praise but didn't draw an audience. Somehow, the clips from 'Rising' make me want to see 'Earring', which I had written off as fluff.

I'm looking forward to watching "Hannibal Rising" on disc some quiet night at home -- it should go well with some popcorn and body parts. Did I say that? I meant human flesh cooked extremely rare. Wait. I mean butter. Yes. Jeez. Butter. Popcorn with butter, and a nice Chianti.

I found a video interview with Ulliel and Webber at IGN. They also have a trailer and new exclusive footage. Did Webber arrange for Ulliel to take part in a real autopsy to prep to play Hannibal the Cannibal? Gads! Find out the truth!

No comments:

Blog Archive