Monday, September 09, 2013

The New 'TV' -- or -- Why Movie Theater Attendance Is Down

Definitions are changing. Not that that's a secret. More often these days, the best movies are found on 'TV' (which now goes in quotes).

The only thing about this new HBO series that's television-esque is the title -- 'True Detective', which may as well be the latest boilerplate cop procedural to roll out on the networks. However, with Matthew McCanaughey and Woody Harrelson, directed by Cary Fukunaga, and written by Nic Pizzolatto, the series has the look of a feature movie.

I used to hate TV. Long story short: I thought it was stupid and couldn't stand to watch. Now, much of the time, I think movies (in theaters) aren't worth my time and, about 45 minutes in, having gotten dressed, driven to the theater at a given time, stood in line and purchased a ticket, etc., I regret going out to see them and wish I was at home watching something I like on DVD or, increasingly, television.

The tables have turned. The future of movies at the theater is looking more bleak all the time. With stuff like 'True Detective' it's little wonder theater attendance is down.



I'm moving. My new blog is 101-to-la, as in highway 101 to Los Angeles. I'll be double posting here and at the new blog for a while, then retiring MoovyBoovy.

















No comments:

Blog Archive