On the flip side: Trailer opens with very fresh visuals and strong sense of setting. Nice, considering it's mostly all been done before and it's tough to come up with an original look (See: Visual references to Blade Runner and other sci-fi standards in trailer for 'Total Recall').
One the flop side: Cool eye-candy doesn't cut it anymore (See 'John Carter').
Flip: Seems like a promising story -- Dredd tries to do something about a city addicted to a drug supplied by one person.
Flop: Potentially involving plot quickly devolves into an 'escape from a tower filled with armed bad guys trying to kill you' setup (See: The Raid).
Flip: Director Pete Travis manages to keep it visually interesting.
Flop: Travis is known for choppy throughline, as in 'Vantage Point', which was considered nearly impossible to follow and not worth the effort in any event.
Flip: Choppy throughline probably won't matter in a movie like 'Dredd'.
Flip: Writer Alex Garland (28 Days Later, Never Let Me Go, Sunshine)
Flop: (I have not seen 'Never Let Me Go') but both '28 Days Later' and 'Sunshine' have pretty bad 3rd act issues in that plot devices are convenient, weak, and don't live up to the potential of Acts I and II.
Flip: As with choppy throughline, weak Act III plot devices probably won't matter in a movie like 'Dredd'.
Flop: Lines straight from the 80s like 'I'm the law' and 'It's judgment time'.
Flip: (Sigh) Probably won't matter in a movie like 'Dredd'...
- ► 2013 (568)
- 'ParaNorman' Making-Of Featurette
- Must-Watch Trailer for 'Craigslist Joe'
- New Trailer for 'The Awakening'
- Clip from 'Fernando Meirelles' '360'
- International Trailer/Poster for Pascal Laugier's ...
- 'The Man With the Iron Fists' Red Band Trailer
- 'Frankenweenie' Making-Of Featurettes
- 'The Dark Knight Rises' Site
- 'Looper' Trailer Du Jour Intros the 'Eye Drops'
- Richard Roeper Reviews Sarah Polley's 'Take This W...
- Poster/Trailer for John Hawkes and Helen Hunt's 'T...
- Poster/Trailer for Maggie Simpson's 'The Longest D...
- (New) New Poster for 'Sleepwalk With Me'
- Trailer for David O. Russell's 'Silver Linings Pla...
- Trailer for Pascal Laugier's 'The Tall Man'
- New(ish) Poster, New Clips, and an English Languag...
- New 'Total Recall' Trailer Loaded With Reveals
- Poster for Jessica Biel's 'The Tall Man'
- Poster for Jennifer Lynch's 'Chained'
- The Schmoes and IGN Review 'The Amazing Spider-Man...
- 'Here Comes The Boom' Trailer
- Two (2) First (1st) Looks at Tom Cruise as Jack Re...
- Jeremy Renner/Bourne Legacy Covers Empire in Augus...
- Red Band Trailer for 'Hit and Run'
- Seriously Put-Together New Trailer for Bruce Willi...
- I'm a Savage
- 'Savages' Wallpaper
- 'Savages' Interrogation Series III
- Concept Art for Barry Levinson's 'The Bay'
- New From The Set of 'Looper'
- 'Prometheus' VFX Featurette
- Don Pettit's 'Star Trail' Images
- William Friedkin Talks 'Killer Joe'
- Clip from 'Killer Joe'
- Spidey Crew at the Empire State Building
- Red Band Clip from 'The Watch'
- 'Arbitrage' Poster/Trailer
- Second Trailer for 'Frankenweenie'
- 'Sorkinisms' aka The Most Embarrassing Thing You'l...
- Trailer for 'Epic' Delivers
- Ear Candy: 'The Dark Knight Rises' Soundtrack
- Poster and New Trailer for 'Robot & Frank'
- Poster/Trailer for 'Easy Money'
- New Posters for 'The Campaign': Eagle vs Puppy
- Lindsay Lohan in Richard Phillips' 'First Point'
- Balloon Flight
- 'Paddington Bear' Poster
- International Trailer for 'V/H/S/'
- Jeremy Jahns Reviews 'Brave' and 'Abraham Lincoln:...
- Keanu Reeve's Proof of Concept Bot & Dolly Video f...
- New Featurettes for 'Savages'
- Trailer for 'The Prototype'
- International Trailer for Ben Affleck's 'Argo'
- Peeing in a Can Clip from 'The Watch'
- Red Band Clip from 'Savages'
- Oliver Stone's New Look for 'Savages'
- 5-Minute Vaca in SoCal: Lisergia Clássica
- A Short But To-The-Point Message from 'Savages'
- 'Klown' Poster/Clip/Trailer
- Posters/Trailer for Chen Kaige's 'Sacrifice'
- International Trailer for 'Taken 2' -- or -- Liam ...
- Flip-Flopping Trailer for 'Dredd'
- 8-Bit Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
- Poster/Trailer for 'Hara Kiri: Death of a Samurai'...
- Still from 'Brave'
- Trailer for 'Anna Karenina'
- Repugnant Smart International Trailer for 'The Wat...
- Spanish Character Posters for 'Frankenweenie'
- Ender's Game Wraps Principal Photography -- WARNIN...
- Super-Noir Character Posters for 'Frankenweenie'
- Still/New Poster for 'To Rome with Love'
- Snippets from Pixar's 'Brave'
- First Still of Angelina Jolie as Maleficent
- Humanistic Batman for a New Era -- or -- The Non-S...
- 2nd Teaser Trailer for 'The Master'
- Red Band Trailer for 'V/H/S'
- Clips from 'Savages'
- New Production Still from Joseph Gordon-Levitt's D...
- "The Pulp Fiction of now" -- John Travolta. Oliver...
- Turn's Mad Men-esque Ad
- Poster for 'Liam Neeson Shoots All The Bad Guys' a...
- Latest Short Film from Philip Bloom -- 'Sofia's Pe...
- 'The Woman in the Fifth'
- Poster/Trailer/Reviews for 'V/H/S'
- Red Band Trailer for 'Magic Mike' -- Not Quite The...
- Trailer for Julie Delpy's '2 Days in New York'
- 'Scopia' Teaser Trailer/Poster/Clips/Interview wit...
- Trailer for 'Sinister'
- Trailer for 'Resident Evil: Retribution'
- Poster for 'Branded'
- Poster/Trailer for Viggo Mortensen's Suspense Thri...
- Meet Oliver Stone's Savages
- Amazon to Stream MGM Movies
- New Character Posters for 'Rise of the Guardians'
- International Trailer for 'Django Unchained'
- Poster/Trailer for 'Blue Ridge'
- Red Band Trailer for Robert De Niro's 'Freelancers...
- Tim Burton's 'Frankenweenie' - The Art of Frankenw...
- Trailer for 'The Prey' (La Proie)
- Banner for Oliver Stone's 'Savages'
- ▼ June (143)
- ► 2011 (1761)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)