When early trailers for 'Ironclad' rolled out most people liked the look of the medieval sword-slashing battle epic and it got good comments.
Sure. Why not like it? Looks like fun.
Then, when a later trailer came out featuring a throbbing rock soundtrack everyone hated the music and thought the movie might just suck.
Okay, that one's good too. The rock adds energy. I like it.
Comments ranged from concerned to negative.
Weird. Myself, I didn't even notice. Who cares what kind of music plays over a 13th century battle with swords, arrows, and trebuchets? Besides, do they expect lutes plucking and panflutes tooting? Who'd want to hear that? 'Ironclad' isn't a period drama that happens to include battle sequences, it's an action-thriller with hard-core combat scenes that takes place in the 13th century. What difference does it make that it's set before The Rolling Stones landed? Rock covers a battle sequence nicely, even one set in merry old England.
When the first 'Cowboys & Aliens' trailer hit everyone, as expected, loved it.
Sure. Why not like it? Looks like fun. Back in April, though, we got this, which isn't subtle about the rock intro:
The anachronistic soundtrack was hardly noticed. In fact, the only comment I was able to find was positive. Movieline said:
The vibe in this trailer is energetic, fast-paced, tongue-in-cheek, even - and if the rollicking music heard here is any indication of the final film, Cowboys & Aliens could have a very mainstream-friendly, Pirates of the Caribbean-type appeal.
Now, we get a new trailer with music that, if anything, is even more throbbing, hard hitting. Still no protests. Is it that rock music in a medieval battle scene is more grating, or just seems more wrong, than the same type music in a western because one takes place in the 13th century, like 700 or 800 years before the advent of rock and the other takes place in the 1700s and early 1800s, which was just a few years ago by comparison? (Sure, that makes sense). Just how is one more anachronistic than the other? Or, is it that we understand Jon Favreau loves hard-rocking soundtracks, and this is the guy that gave us all that 'Iron Man' goodness, so nobody says anything for fear of disturbing the Favreau-ness of it all?
It's a funny thing. I remember 'A Knight's Tale' got ripped for using a rock soundtrack and that's a medieval setting as well. Go figure.
- ► 2013 (568)
- ► 2012 (1471)
- Uwe Boll on 'The Tree of Life', Among Others
- The Music of 'Horrible Bosses'
- Two New Clips from 'Terri'
- 'Horrible Bosses' B-Roll
- International Poster for 'Captain America'
- Veena Sud talks 'The Killing' and David Carr on 'P...
- Jason Bateman on 'Horrible Bosses'
- Sound Editing and Design for 'Transformers: Dark o...
- Jesse Eisenberg in a Clip from 'Holy Rollers'
- 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' Gets a Teaser Trail...
- David Carr and Brian Stelter with Charlie Rose
- 'Killer Elite' Poster
- Robert Knight -- God of Rock Photography
- Seagull Steals GoPro Video Cam
- Jason Bateman Gives 100% Guarantee 'Horrible Bosse...
- 'Transformers: DotM' Review
- 'War Horse' Teaser Trailer
- 'Horrible Bosses' Cast Interviews
- 'Terri' Cast Interview
- International Trailer for '30 Minutes or Less'
- Trailer for 'Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol'
- More with Harrison Ford and Jon Favreau
- Jon Favreau and Harrison Ford Talk...Movies
- Atmospheric Still From 'Don't be Afraid of the Dar...
- Poster for '30 Minutes or Less' DOA
- Extended 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' Cast Int...
- Colin Farrell and Jennifer Aniston talk 'Horrible ...
- Kevin Spacey talks 'Horrible Bosses'
- Really Dumb or Really Smart
- Another 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' Viral Vid...
- 'Scenes from the Suburbs' (Full Movie)
- Vanity Fair with Emma Stone
- Spotlight on Optimus Prime
- 'Fright Night' Character Posters
- 3 Clips from 'Don't be Afraid of the Dark'
- Edit a Scene/Movie, Win Fabulous Prizes
- One More 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' Trailer
- 'Horrible Bosses' Red Band Trailer
- 'Hot Coffee'
- It's Jaw-Dropping. No, Really.
- First (Legit) Teaser for Pixar's 'Brave'
- Anne Hathaway with Harper's Bazaar
- 'Footloose' Posters
- Buck Brannaman on The Late Show
- 'Super 8' Brings the Funnest, Busiest 7-Eleven Eve...
- Watch Captain America put his hat on then go Insid...
- New Trailer for '300'...um...I Mean 'Immortals'
- 'The Archiver'
- Same Music Bad or Good Depending
- 'Cowboys & Aliens' Trailer
- 'Apollo 18' Trailer
- More Good Neighbors
- The Love/Hate Continues for 'Bad Teacher'
- Clip from 'Good Neighbors'
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon Featurette
- Wimpy Wimpy Americans
- New 'Captain America' Trailer
- Clip from 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon'
- Terra Nova PSA
- 'L'Equip Petit' (The Little Team)
- Morning Coffee Short Film
- 'Girlfriend' Poster and Trailer
- Mike Mills Talks 'Beginners' with Elvis Mitchell o...
- 'Dear Woman'
- Slate Crew Talks 'Page One: Inside the NYT'
- Friends with Benefits, Biel, Shooting Sex Scenes, ...
- 'Killer Elite' Trailer
- 'Horrible Bosses' Clip
- Creepy Eyes
- Trailer for 'Rusted Pyre' Short Film
- 'Dirty Girl' Poster
- 'Don't be Afraid of the Dark' Poster
- Re-cut Trailer for '30 Minutes or Less'
- Super Duper Cheesy Poster for 'Abduction'
- Chimp Plays Video Game
- 'Beginners' Featurette -- Cosmo the Dog
- Trailer for 'Bobby Fischer Against the World'
- Japanese Trailer for 'Real Steel'
- Bad Behavior in 'Bad Teacher'
- Prequel Teaser Trailer for 'The Troll Hunter'
- Cosmic Imagery from 'The Tree of Life'
- New Poster for 'Cowboys & Aliens'
- Director Andrew Rossi and Reporter David Carr Talk...
- Trailer for Director's Cut of 'Das Boot' Will Make...
- New 'Immortals' Character Posters
- Drop Dead Trailer for 'A Dangerous Method'
- The Business with Kim Masters
- 'The Muppets' Trailer
- Idea for a Movie
- 'Praha'ndante' -- A Meditation Shot in Prague
- Trailer for 'Vampires' Just Cruises
- Clips from 'Terri'
- The Tech Side of Pixar's 'Cars 2'
- Trailer for 'The Retirement of Joe Corduroy'
- Ending of 'Big Night'
- 'Flypaper' Trailer
- Teaser for 'The Skin I Live In'
- 'Captain America' Featurette
- New 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' TV Spots
- ▼ June (245)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)