I posted a clip earlier and noted that it was oddly edited. For instance, at 21 seconds the guy, Michael Shannon, is just left of center. There is a cutaway (about 3 seconds) then at :26 we cut back to the same POV and he's just right of center. Also, the cart behind him keeps changing -- sometimes it's perpendicular, sometimes not. The pile of wood scraps changes, too.
Well, that's plain ole wrong -- film school bad continuity -- and that's what I responded to in my comment.
After watching a couple times and thinking about it I thought it was a little too dumb to be an accident. I realized the editing/set details may have been done that way on purpose (especially considering how the clip ends) to create a subtle disorienting quality. Put us in the character's head space without being obvious about it. It works. The viewer is off balance even if he/she isn't aware what's going on with the cuts. Nice.
Here's a video introduction by Nichols. Done for Sundance, it offers insight into the process and keeping the movie true to his vision.
Confirms what I suspected about the character's state of mind.
Here's a review by Mali Elfman of ScreenCrave.com
...which sounds exactly like what I expected to hear about this flick. A twisty psych yarn with a solid indie style that will appeal to people looking for a thinking person's thriller. Something film buffs can talk about, argue about, have fun analyzing. People who are looking for a cheesy snack should avoid.
Mali is right about Shannon. The guy was intense in 'Bug'. You never knew precisely where he was coming from. Was he crazy, obsessive, or the only guy who in the room who really knew what was going on? He always looks like he's either a kook who's wallowing in mental illness or a regular joe desperate to come to terms with weird goings on. Exactly what's called for in 'Take Shelter'.
Seems like Nichols has his game together and got a bit lucky with the level of VFX he was able to utilize without having to tailor the script to the general public. Rare thing. I think he can be trusted. Looking forward to his movie.
- ► 2013 (568)
- ► 2012 (1471)
- The Not Fakey-Shaky "Bootleg" Trailer for The Girl...
- Make Your Own 'Star Wars' Crawl
- 'Green Lantern' Featurette
- 'X-Men: First Class' Cast Interview
- Telluride gets a Poster
- Tree of Life Review
- Meditative Poetic Trailers for 'General Orders No....
- 'The Perfect Host' Poster
- Clip from 'Fright Night'
- Take Shelter Poster
- VLT -- Very Large Telescope
- 'The Perfect Host' Featurette
- 'Real Steel' Poster
- Very Slow Motion
- Super Slow Motion
- Pixelschatten - OUR LIFE IS ONLINE
- Sean Young Looks Back at the Making of Dune. Total...
- 'One Lucky Elephant' Trailer
- Trailer for 'Venus Noire' (Black Venus)
- 'Iron Sky' Director's Production Diary Video
- Michael Fassbender Talks 'X-Men'
- 'Jig' Trailer and Poster
- Secret Bits from 'Super 8'
- "Leaked" Red Band Trailer for The Girl With The D...
- Clip from 'Super 8'
- 'Showrunners' Trailer
- Jellyfish Lake, Palau
- '50/50' Trailer
- Come And Join Us!
- 'Bait 3D' Trailer and Featurette
- How Many Times do They say the Names Jack and Rose...
- Trailer for 'The Flaw'
- Trailer for '50/50'
- More 3D Discussion by Michael Bay and James Camero...
- Kathryn Bolkovac Steps Up
- 'The Whistleblower' Trailer'
- Must See Trailer for 'Juan'
- 'One Way Trip 3D'
- Some Background on Bradley Cooper
- Bradley Cooper on Fresh Air
- Cars/State Farm Ad
- Mock Up Announcement Poster for 'Solo'
- JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg talk...Movies
- JJ Abrams 'Are You Ready?'
- (Extended) Michael Bay and James Cameron Discuss 3...
- Ashton Kutcher on Speculative Investing
- JJ Abrams on 'Super 8'
- Clip from 'Yellow Sea'
- 'Transformers' TV Spot
- 'Hangover 2' Hitting All The Same Notes
- Clips from 'The Ledge'
- Natural Raunchiness in 'Bridesmaids'
- Paul Feig talks 'Bridesmaids' with Elvis Mitchell ...
- New Poster for 'Colombiana'
- All it Takes is a Good Director
- 'Shark Night 3D' Trailer
- 'Bridesmaids' Outtakes
- Clip from 'Shadows and Lies'
- Designing the Look of 'Kung Fu Panda'
- Short Film Break
- Redacted Trailer and Poster for '!Women Art Revolu...
- 'Super 8' TV Spot
- 'Cowboys & Aliens' TV Spot
- 'Salvation Boulevard' Trailer
- Poster for 'The Descendants'
- 'A Little Help' Trailer(s) and Poster
- 'Take Shelter' Trailer
- 'Hello. How Are You?' (Buna! Ce faci?)
- 'Real Steel' Looked Really Bad, Then Good, Then Re...
- Clips from 'Hara Kiri: Death of a Samurai'
- What Scares Us?
- Lady Gaga for Google Chrome
- 'Transformers' Featurette
- Lithgow Reads Gingrich
- 'Cars 2' Featurette
- Anne Thompson talks with Ryan Gosling
- New Transformers Poster
- 'Conan O'Brien Can't Stop' Trailer
- If You Thought You Were Upset About the von Trier ...
- 'Conan O'Brien Can't Stop' Poster
- 'Age of Heroes'
- New Transformers Trailer and Featurette
- Listen Up. Here's How It Happened
- 'Horrible Bosses' Jamie Foxx Character Poster
- Set Up for 'Point Blank' ( À bout Portant)
- Pirates Review -- Not as Long or Confusing as Part...
- Cannes Snapshot
- 'Horrible Bosses' Posters
- New Cut for 'Last Night' Trailer
- Clips from 'Good Neighbors'
- 'The Hangover Part II' Featurette
- Clip of Keira Knightley with Charlie Rose
- Another Clip from 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon'...
- Way Better Mexican Trailer for 'The Adventures of ...
- Highly Technical Atmospheric Clip From 'The Tree o...
- Tweaked Poster for 'Point Blank'
- 'Project Nim' Poster
- ▼ May (250)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)