Just listened to Paul Feig with Elvis Mitchell on The Treatment.
Feig says that, to him, one of the most important things in comedy is that characters come off real, that they're something the audience, real people, can connect with. Looks like he succeeded with 'Bridesmaids'. It has a flow. Like these are everyday people who just happen to be in a movie.
Like this scene:
Rings true. You know these two people are friends.
Even when the setup is conventional the energy works. It's not like a line-reading.
When I first saw this I braced myself for that point when the schtick would get uncomfortable to watch. It didn't happen. It never became schtick. Rose Byrne stays sincere, real, the whole time, and because of that it's funny. You feel for her. She's so determined, and a little sad and lonely. It's touching and comic.
But, the flick isn't a touchy-feely exploration of friendships (between women). It gets pretty raunchy, as gross as anything from the Apatow boy's club. (If anything, more so).
'Bridesmaids' doesn't pull punches like a by-the-numbers girly comedy (I won't offer any titles but there's a non-stop parade. They're sterile, predictable, safe, with fakey cutesy scenes that nobody can get invested in without feeling like an ass, and they fail again and again).
This scene would usually have that vaudeville feel -- as if each joke is followed by an unheard ba-dum ching drum shot:
Plays great. Just rolls. Sick funny, but also real and natural. I can't think of another recent comedy that features women in central roles that goes there, pulls that off.
Audiences have responded. There's good buzz. 'Bridesmaids' may have legs.
I put this up earlier today, but it fits here, so I'll post it again:
- ► 2013 (568)
- ► 2012 (1471)
- The Not Fakey-Shaky "Bootleg" Trailer for The Girl...
- Make Your Own 'Star Wars' Crawl
- 'Green Lantern' Featurette
- 'X-Men: First Class' Cast Interview
- Telluride gets a Poster
- Tree of Life Review
- Meditative Poetic Trailers for 'General Orders No....
- 'The Perfect Host' Poster
- Clip from 'Fright Night'
- Take Shelter Poster
- VLT -- Very Large Telescope
- 'The Perfect Host' Featurette
- 'Real Steel' Poster
- Very Slow Motion
- Super Slow Motion
- Pixelschatten - OUR LIFE IS ONLINE
- Sean Young Looks Back at the Making of Dune. Total...
- 'One Lucky Elephant' Trailer
- Trailer for 'Venus Noire' (Black Venus)
- 'Iron Sky' Director's Production Diary Video
- Michael Fassbender Talks 'X-Men'
- 'Jig' Trailer and Poster
- Secret Bits from 'Super 8'
- "Leaked" Red Band Trailer for The Girl With The D...
- Clip from 'Super 8'
- 'Showrunners' Trailer
- Jellyfish Lake, Palau
- '50/50' Trailer
- Come And Join Us!
- 'Bait 3D' Trailer and Featurette
- How Many Times do They say the Names Jack and Rose...
- Trailer for 'The Flaw'
- Trailer for '50/50'
- More 3D Discussion by Michael Bay and James Camero...
- Kathryn Bolkovac Steps Up
- 'The Whistleblower' Trailer'
- Must See Trailer for 'Juan'
- 'One Way Trip 3D'
- Some Background on Bradley Cooper
- Bradley Cooper on Fresh Air
- Cars/State Farm Ad
- Mock Up Announcement Poster for 'Solo'
- JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg talk...Movies
- JJ Abrams 'Are You Ready?'
- (Extended) Michael Bay and James Cameron Discuss 3...
- Ashton Kutcher on Speculative Investing
- JJ Abrams on 'Super 8'
- Clip from 'Yellow Sea'
- 'Transformers' TV Spot
- 'Hangover 2' Hitting All The Same Notes
- Clips from 'The Ledge'
- Natural Raunchiness in 'Bridesmaids'
- Paul Feig talks 'Bridesmaids' with Elvis Mitchell ...
- New Poster for 'Colombiana'
- All it Takes is a Good Director
- 'Shark Night 3D' Trailer
- 'Bridesmaids' Outtakes
- Clip from 'Shadows and Lies'
- Designing the Look of 'Kung Fu Panda'
- Short Film Break
- Redacted Trailer and Poster for '!Women Art Revolu...
- 'Super 8' TV Spot
- 'Cowboys & Aliens' TV Spot
- 'Salvation Boulevard' Trailer
- Poster for 'The Descendants'
- 'A Little Help' Trailer(s) and Poster
- 'Take Shelter' Trailer
- 'Hello. How Are You?' (Buna! Ce faci?)
- 'Real Steel' Looked Really Bad, Then Good, Then Re...
- Clips from 'Hara Kiri: Death of a Samurai'
- What Scares Us?
- Lady Gaga for Google Chrome
- 'Transformers' Featurette
- Lithgow Reads Gingrich
- 'Cars 2' Featurette
- Anne Thompson talks with Ryan Gosling
- New Transformers Poster
- 'Conan O'Brien Can't Stop' Trailer
- If You Thought You Were Upset About the von Trier ...
- 'Conan O'Brien Can't Stop' Poster
- 'Age of Heroes'
- New Transformers Trailer and Featurette
- Listen Up. Here's How It Happened
- 'Horrible Bosses' Jamie Foxx Character Poster
- Set Up for 'Point Blank' ( À bout Portant)
- Pirates Review -- Not as Long or Confusing as Part...
- Cannes Snapshot
- 'Horrible Bosses' Posters
- New Cut for 'Last Night' Trailer
- Clips from 'Good Neighbors'
- 'The Hangover Part II' Featurette
- Clip of Keira Knightley with Charlie Rose
- Another Clip from 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon'...
- Way Better Mexican Trailer for 'The Adventures of ...
- Highly Technical Atmospheric Clip From 'The Tree o...
- Tweaked Poster for 'Point Blank'
- 'Project Nim' Poster
- ▼ May (250)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)