This still was the first we saw from 'Real Steel'.
1) Has that highly photshopped look. Pastel colors, mismatched contrast characteristics -- the robot has deep blacks and Hugh Jackman is in a fog (that implies heavy smoke or distance) even though both are the same distance from the viewer and should be lit the same, have the same contrast values. Visually confusing, takes you out of the moment. Large area of backlit smoke that serves as a backdrop is tacky. It's there to make the main subjects pop, but comes off very cheap.
2) Faces in background have been defocused. You can tell they were in sharp focus in the original image but, as that would draw attention from the main subjects, they were defocused. Looks cheap.
3) Shadow mismatch. The robot and the man cast shadows in different directions. This happens with multiple lights, but then there should be multiple shadows. There aren't. Each subject casts a single, clearly defined shadow. Incorrect, cheap, looks like shit.
At this point I figured RS would be one to skip.
Then came this trailer.
I was surprised by the quality of the CGI and changed my assessment -- the movie might be something worth watching. It did come off a bit sappy and superficially emotional, though. Whatever, it's for kids, I get that. That's what DreamWorks is all about. That's okay, I don't need to see (well, more precisely, hear) this story again. I just want the eye candy -- I'll listen to some classic rock from the 70s and turn the sound off.
Now we get this teaser poster:
It's nigh on impossible to articulate what's wrong with it, but I'll try:
1) The arm of the robot could not bend a steel cable that much. It would have to weigh, oh, as much as three cars (?) to do that. (It would have to weigh a lot).
2) Just overall cheap looking. Again, pastel, not photo-real. Crowd is very amateurish. Star effect in flashes is very sloppy, overdone, and there are too many.
3) Silly. Has something to do with 2 fingers wrapped around the cable. Looks dumb.
I know it's just a teaser but shouldn't it look better than that? Same thing is going on with the cartoony posters for 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon'. What's up with that? Spend $100 million plus on production but pay some guy fifty bucks to do the teaser posters in his spare time?
So, now I'm back to 'nobody cares'. And, there's a sequel scheduled for 2014? Not sure about that. Kids are pretty smart. If RS goes up against something better it'll get its ass handed to it -- and an arm, torso, robot head, linkages and wiring.
- ► 2013 (568)
- ► 2012 (1471)
- The Not Fakey-Shaky "Bootleg" Trailer for The Girl...
- Make Your Own 'Star Wars' Crawl
- 'Green Lantern' Featurette
- 'X-Men: First Class' Cast Interview
- Telluride gets a Poster
- Tree of Life Review
- Meditative Poetic Trailers for 'General Orders No....
- 'The Perfect Host' Poster
- Clip from 'Fright Night'
- Take Shelter Poster
- VLT -- Very Large Telescope
- 'The Perfect Host' Featurette
- 'Real Steel' Poster
- Very Slow Motion
- Super Slow Motion
- Pixelschatten - OUR LIFE IS ONLINE
- Sean Young Looks Back at the Making of Dune. Total...
- 'One Lucky Elephant' Trailer
- Trailer for 'Venus Noire' (Black Venus)
- 'Iron Sky' Director's Production Diary Video
- Michael Fassbender Talks 'X-Men'
- 'Jig' Trailer and Poster
- Secret Bits from 'Super 8'
- "Leaked" Red Band Trailer for The Girl With The D...
- Clip from 'Super 8'
- 'Showrunners' Trailer
- Jellyfish Lake, Palau
- '50/50' Trailer
- Come And Join Us!
- 'Bait 3D' Trailer and Featurette
- How Many Times do They say the Names Jack and Rose...
- Trailer for 'The Flaw'
- Trailer for '50/50'
- More 3D Discussion by Michael Bay and James Camero...
- Kathryn Bolkovac Steps Up
- 'The Whistleblower' Trailer'
- Must See Trailer for 'Juan'
- 'One Way Trip 3D'
- Some Background on Bradley Cooper
- Bradley Cooper on Fresh Air
- Cars/State Farm Ad
- Mock Up Announcement Poster for 'Solo'
- JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg talk...Movies
- JJ Abrams 'Are You Ready?'
- (Extended) Michael Bay and James Cameron Discuss 3...
- Ashton Kutcher on Speculative Investing
- JJ Abrams on 'Super 8'
- Clip from 'Yellow Sea'
- 'Transformers' TV Spot
- 'Hangover 2' Hitting All The Same Notes
- Clips from 'The Ledge'
- Natural Raunchiness in 'Bridesmaids'
- Paul Feig talks 'Bridesmaids' with Elvis Mitchell ...
- New Poster for 'Colombiana'
- All it Takes is a Good Director
- 'Shark Night 3D' Trailer
- 'Bridesmaids' Outtakes
- Clip from 'Shadows and Lies'
- Designing the Look of 'Kung Fu Panda'
- Short Film Break
- Redacted Trailer and Poster for '!Women Art Revolu...
- 'Super 8' TV Spot
- 'Cowboys & Aliens' TV Spot
- 'Salvation Boulevard' Trailer
- Poster for 'The Descendants'
- 'A Little Help' Trailer(s) and Poster
- 'Take Shelter' Trailer
- 'Hello. How Are You?' (Buna! Ce faci?)
- 'Real Steel' Looked Really Bad, Then Good, Then Re...
- Clips from 'Hara Kiri: Death of a Samurai'
- What Scares Us?
- Lady Gaga for Google Chrome
- 'Transformers' Featurette
- Lithgow Reads Gingrich
- 'Cars 2' Featurette
- Anne Thompson talks with Ryan Gosling
- New Transformers Poster
- 'Conan O'Brien Can't Stop' Trailer
- If You Thought You Were Upset About the von Trier ...
- 'Conan O'Brien Can't Stop' Poster
- 'Age of Heroes'
- New Transformers Trailer and Featurette
- Listen Up. Here's How It Happened
- 'Horrible Bosses' Jamie Foxx Character Poster
- Set Up for 'Point Blank' ( À bout Portant)
- Pirates Review -- Not as Long or Confusing as Part...
- Cannes Snapshot
- 'Horrible Bosses' Posters
- New Cut for 'Last Night' Trailer
- Clips from 'Good Neighbors'
- 'The Hangover Part II' Featurette
- Clip of Keira Knightley with Charlie Rose
- Another Clip from 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon'...
- Way Better Mexican Trailer for 'The Adventures of ...
- Highly Technical Atmospheric Clip From 'The Tree o...
- Tweaked Poster for 'Point Blank'
- 'Project Nim' Poster
- ▼ May (250)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)