Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Joy


So far above clip is the only video I've been able to find from Sergei Loznitsa's 'My Joy'. Here's an excerpt from Andrew O'Hehir's write-up at Salon:

Later, more mysteriously, we see another terrible incident, probably from World War I, which happened in the house where Georgy ends up living with a Gypsy woman who seems to have claimed him as her sex toy.


That's the closest thing to tenderness Georgy finds in this land of stupidity and evil, where any human impulses seem to have been overrun by the most ruthless and Darwinian kind of struggle. He is beaten and left for dead; his truck and cargo are sold off. At last, the old man who told him the World War II story becomes his final refuge. And he hasn't seen the last of those terrible cops. Believe me, Russian readers, I don't assume that this dark fantasy bears much relationship to Russian reality -- or at least, no more than "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" depicts real life in 1970s central Texas.

For some reason, I'm not sure what, I want to see this.

No comments:

Blog Archive