Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Let Me In




I was a little wary when I heard Hollywood was planning a remake of 'Lat den Ratte Komme In' (Let the Right One In). (Still image above). Directed by Tomas Alfredson and based on the novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist, who also wrote the script, this movie is atmospheric and eerie in a way Hollywood directors rarely capture -- the very antithesis of American bubble gum like 'Twilight'.

The remake, 'Let Me In', (that title just makes me cringe, it so lacks the poetry of the original) written and directed by Matt Reeves (Cloverfield), and stars Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Road) and Chloe Moretz (Kick-Ass), is scheduled for an October 1 release.



Above still from 'Let Me In' has the same vibe as the original, but I can't help thinking the movie won't grab me the same way. Frankly, I'm hoping it won't have me rolling my eyes.

I know...I'm biased, but Hollywood remakes of foreign movies tend to be such clunkers -- think 'Point of No Return' vs. 'La Femme Nikita'.

Comparing 'Let Me In' to 'Lat den Ratte Komme In' could make for an interesting study. I'm looking forward to watching both on DVD.



No comments:

Blog Archive