Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Poster for 'Finding Vivian Maier'
There's been some talk about this doc but no poster. Well, here one is.
'Finding Vivian Maier' may seem like one of those films you can skip. The title just doesn't have a hook. You can't really tell what it's about. But, rest assured, this is one of the most fascinating stories you'll ever hear.
Maier was a nanny for a family in Chicago in the 1950s. She had, as one would expect, a very quiet life. Never married, didn't have friends, had little money. She did, however, take photographs. Some of the best street work I've ever seen. Some of the best street work that has ever been shot. She also never saw most of her pictures. In fact, much of her film wasn't even developed and remained stored in boxes she took with her from job to job, city to city.
She created about 100,000 images. This, remember, was before digital imagery. Maier shot thousands of rolls of film, each containing 12 exposures. If you haven't seen her work, here's a few shots.
It goes on and on like this. One after the other. Is it thousands or tens of thousands? Astonishing.
You can see more at a site devoted to exhibiting her photographs.
The documentary is directed by John Maloof and Charlie Siskel. It will show at the Toronto International Film Festival and has secured distribution by Sundance Selects.
- 'Lone Survivor' Rollout
- Poster for 'Finding Vivian Maier'
- Abscam Never Looked This Good
- Again, Not Quite What You Expect
- Admit It. It's What You Really Want To Do
- Not Too Serious, Not Too Stupid, Just Right
- Tight. Nicely Done
- He's Got Your Baby
- Scary Minute
- Liking This
- Just A Cut Above
- Is This Getting Tedious? No. Right? Can't. Right?
- '47 Ronin' Trailer -- Yeah, Not What You'd Expect
- Talk About Writing Yourself Into A Corner...More N...
- Wow. Finally A Movie Worth Looking Forward To
- 'Ender's Game' Takes a Turn
- 4 Not-What-You-Expected Posters for '47 Ronin'
- Animated 'Snowpiercer' Set Up
- Red Band 'Riddick'
- Reminds Me Of 'Jurassic Park'
- Just Looks So Good
- Too Action-Packed And Too Melodramatic And So So G...
- 'Fruitvale Station' Resonates
- A Sean Penn Action Movie?
- '12 Years A Slave' Trailer
- Based On A True Story, Looks Good
- Sneak Peak at Johnny Depp and Morgan Freeman's 'Tr...
- Quiet, Beautiful, Powerful
- Fantastic Trailer for 'Out of the Furnace'
- Flat Buzz But Great Reviews
- Way Way Works
- 'Oldboy' Trailer...Better Than I Hoped
- We're-Going-To-Need-A-Bigger-Helicopter Trailer fo...
- Sinbad-esque Trailer for 'Seventh Son'
- Stop Cutting Wires!
- Exquisite New Trailer for 'Filth' -- aka -- The Be...
- 2 Trailers for 'Lovelace' But Only 1 Worth Watchin...
- 'Pacific Rim' Delivers Its Best Trailer Yet But I'...
- 'The Conjuring': Very 70s, Very Sure
- 'The BoxTrolls' Primer-Slash-Trailer
- 'Pacific Rim' Featurette -- or -- You Kaiju, You
- Trailer for 'Afternoon Delight' Tries So Hard
- ▼ July (43)
- ► 2012 (1471)
- ► 2011 (1761)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)