I thought 'Pacific Rim' was a great idea. Giant robots fighting monsters from the other side of the universe -- had never been done, sounded like fun. Then, I heard about the whole 'drift' thing and the way it takes two psychically bonded pilots to control the Jaegers. Something about that seemed off -- fresh, new, but a bit too complex and subtle an idea for a summer popcorn movie. I had my doubts. Buzz flattened and I think it's because of the drift concept. People weren't interested in such an involved idea. It came off too touchy-feely.
Things were looking grim for 'Pacific Rim'. At one point they were forecasting a $30m opening weekend.
At the same time, though, footage was some of the best I've seen. That, plus the fact that the monster design is, how to say this?...innovative, scary, while maintaining an organic realism that makes your jaw drop. The monsters looked awesome. The robots were good, but sort of same ole same ole, but the monsters rocked. I was looking forward to seeing 'Pacific Rim' again.
Even if PR doesn't do well in the US, I'm thinking it will rake overseas. The European and Asian markets love stuff like drifting. They live for touchy-feely. Makes us squeamish, they eat it up. And, robots fighting monsters plays huge, especially in China and Japan.
Reviews are rolling in and they're over the top. These guys loved the
movie. They're totally wowed by the monsters and fight sequences.
Hopefully, buzz will pick up and PR will do some (domestic) business. There's still time. It could happen.
- 'Lone Survivor' Rollout
- Poster for 'Finding Vivian Maier'
- Abscam Never Looked This Good
- Again, Not Quite What You Expect
- Admit It. It's What You Really Want To Do
- Not Too Serious, Not Too Stupid, Just Right
- Tight. Nicely Done
- He's Got Your Baby
- Scary Minute
- Liking This
- Just A Cut Above
- Is This Getting Tedious? No. Right? Can't. Right?
- '47 Ronin' Trailer -- Yeah, Not What You'd Expect
- Talk About Writing Yourself Into A Corner...More N...
- Wow. Finally A Movie Worth Looking Forward To
- 'Ender's Game' Takes a Turn
- 4 Not-What-You-Expected Posters for '47 Ronin'
- Animated 'Snowpiercer' Set Up
- Red Band 'Riddick'
- Reminds Me Of 'Jurassic Park'
- Just Looks So Good
- Too Action-Packed And Too Melodramatic And So So G...
- 'Fruitvale Station' Resonates
- A Sean Penn Action Movie?
- '12 Years A Slave' Trailer
- Based On A True Story, Looks Good
- Sneak Peak at Johnny Depp and Morgan Freeman's 'Tr...
- Quiet, Beautiful, Powerful
- Fantastic Trailer for 'Out of the Furnace'
- Flat Buzz But Great Reviews
- Way Way Works
- 'Oldboy' Trailer...Better Than I Hoped
- We're-Going-To-Need-A-Bigger-Helicopter Trailer fo...
- Sinbad-esque Trailer for 'Seventh Son'
- Stop Cutting Wires!
- Exquisite New Trailer for 'Filth' -- aka -- The Be...
- 2 Trailers for 'Lovelace' But Only 1 Worth Watchin...
- 'Pacific Rim' Delivers Its Best Trailer Yet But I'...
- 'The Conjuring': Very 70s, Very Sure
- 'The BoxTrolls' Primer-Slash-Trailer
- 'Pacific Rim' Featurette -- or -- You Kaiju, You
- Trailer for 'Afternoon Delight' Tries So Hard
- ▼ July (43)
- ► 2012 (1471)
- ► 2011 (1761)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)