Couple days ago we get a very nice clip with some very subtle camera/editing. I said, "Director Chan-wook Park's virtuosity is on display, though not so you'd notice. He doesn't toss technique around for its own sake. His camera work enhances character without bringing attention to itself."
Well, today we get a another clip and this time, indeed, the camera draws attention to itself and I'm not so sure it's in service of the characters. It does, for sure, create a smooth flowing scene all in one take, and that's worth something. Seeing how you have to either cut or at least move the camera to shoot this setup, it might be more fair to call Park's lensing 'dynamic'. It does match the mood, what with all the machinations swirling around.
Very Hitchcock, pretty fresh, however way noticeable. I like it. It's good. Yes, I'm sure of it. I've convinced myself. But, especially on the big screen, it's going to be conspicuous and might do little more than take the audience out of the moment. Still, though, nice movement. Obviously. Very much so.
So, in conclusion: Makes you dizzy but it's fun -- or -- In context, at that point in the movie, it could be brilliant and spellbinding and have you on the edge of your seat biting your nails however, out of context, in this clip, it's just a little busy.
I'm liking 'Stoker' a lot. Safe money is on 'Park knows exactly what he's doing'.
- New Trailer for 'Oblivion'
- 'Searching for Sugar Man' Shot In Part On An iPhon...
- Marisa Tomei and Andy Samberg in 'Bottlecap'
- Laura Dekker Sails Around The World in 'Maidentrip...
- Searching For A Story In Brussels
- Trailer for 'The Conjuring(inging)'
- Trailer for 'The Girl'
- Featurette for 'A Place At The Table' -- or -- Whe...
- Trailer for 'Revolution': About Our Survival
- Red Bull Skateboard Guys
- Continues To Impress
- Worth A Thousand Words
- 500 Million Years Old
- Must-Watch Trailer for 'Eden'
- 'Spring Breakers' Making-Of Vids
- Lens Talk
- 'Simon Killer'
- Poster For The Trailer For 'Cloudy With A Chance O...
- A Reason To Watch
- More Virtuosity: But This Time, Yeah, You Notice
- Review of 'Snitch'
- 'Vamp U'
- Can't-Be-Missed Trailer for 'No Place On Earth'
- 'Kiss of the Damned'
- So...Now It's Personal?
- Where Is Bane!?
- Catherine Keener and James Franco in 'Maladies'
- Poster/Trailer for 'The Silence' (Das letzte Schwe...
- Clip From 'Stoker': Virtuosity, Though Not So You'...
- Niko Tavernise Talks Set Photography
- DJesus Uncrossed
- '6 Souls' Trailer
- Looking at 'Upside Down'
- Ice Cold Featurette for 'Stoker'
- 'Finding Vivian Maier'
- Again. Cheesy But Good
- Short Film 'Eyes'
- Really? What If The Frankenstein Monster Is Real?
- 'It's A Disaster' Trailer
- Kinda Cheesy, Kinda Good
- Seeks Funding To Photograph The People Of Chukotka...
- Trailer for 'Two Mothers'
- With A Certain Weight But Still Light On Its Feet
- 2nd Trailer for 'Trance'
- Nice Voice Matching
- New Trailer for 'Oblivion'
- Way Too 70s To Fly Today
- Trailer for 'Down and Dangerous'
- New 'Dark Skies' Stuff
- Beautiful Time-Lapse Video 'Namibian Nights'
- So Likeable. Just Is.
- Riding the Tallest Waves (Yeah, in the World)
- All the Major Plot Points of 'The Host' in 90 Seco...
- Spanish Poster for 'Upside Down' -- Better Than Ou...
- 'Hours' Trailer
- New Trailer for 'Room 237'
- Time Magazine's Lightbox: Oscars 2013 Great Perfor...
- I Need To Wear More Rings
- 'Dead Man Down' Featurette
- Poster for 'Snowpiercer'
- Melissamccarthy Jasonbateman Talks With Melissa Mc...
- New (New) Trailer for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- Street Night Seattle
- Best Super Bowl Trailer?
- Neil Jordan's 'Byzantium'
- International Trailer for 'Spring Breakers'
- One More 'Warm Bodies' Trailer
- ▼ February (67)
- ► 2012 (1471)
- ► 2011 (1761)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)