It's nice, with an approach that's immediately recognizable. The fast around-the-corner pans, wide angle closeups, extremely low shots. All very nice. Next, we'll get a poster that bloggers will rave about. Very nice. But, then comes the movie, which not many will see, not many (regular) people will talk about, and few will understand.
Atmospheric and contemplative is all good and well, but watching this trailer it almost seems as if someone is imitating Malick. It's (almost) as if a film student made this as a 'study', if you will, of this acclaimed director's style. But, it's not 'somebody', it's Malick and I can't help but wonder if the approach is a substitute for filmmaking that people want to see. Is this highly technical camera work self-serving? Is the plot twisted into ambiguous turns for their own sake? Has Malick's mission become simply to construct movies for audiences to watch and wonder about but not really get, enjoy, or be entertained by?
And, plot? Well, we get no clue here. The thing is, though, what exactly
the movie is about might end up being argued endlessly even after it's
released. We may have no clue even after we've seen the movie.
Does this flirt with being affectation? Would that be a bad thing?
Sorry, out on a limb as it may be to say, that's what I got. That's what I felt. This trailer is visually stunning, moody, compelling, beautiful in a strange way, and memorable, but it's also a tad, I hesitate here, ...derivative. Yes, that's it.
Okay. Next, let's see that great poster, then...
- ► 2013 (568)
- Chewy Trailer for 'Dead Man Down'
- First 6 Minutes Elijah Wood's of 'Maniac'
- 'Phantom': Really Buttery Popcorn
- Yeah, This Should Work
- First 4 Minutes of 'Warm Bodies'
- Pulling Stills From Video Shot on the Canon 1DC
- 'The Hobbit' And The 48 fps Thing
- Oof. 'Side Effects' Gets Another Cool Poster
- French Trailer for 'To The Wonder'
- Do Not Disturb
- And One More (Supremely Confident) ZDT Poster
- 'The Butterfly Room'
- Sumptuous Eye Candy
- No Way. I Actually Like 'Pain & Gain'
- Is Malick-esque Becoming an Affectation?
- JJ Reviews First 9 Minutes of 'Star Trek Into Dark...
- 'The Mulbury Project'
- Just Plain Works
- Head-Slamming Trailer for 'Broken City'
- Gatsby Rollout
- Another 'Dark' Movie
- Trailer Funnier Than Most (American Comedy) Movies...
- Some Real Pop
- 'Consuming Spirits'
- Big Ass Monsters Trailer for 'Pacific Rim'
- 'Warm Bodies' Posters
- 'Man of Steel' vs 'The Lone Ranger'
- Stopping Bullets with a Sword?
- Trailer for 'The Last Stand'
- Another Excellent Poster for 'The Tall Man'
- Non-Verbal Writing
- 'Side Effects' Poster
- He Doesn't Look Dumb
- 'This is 40' Just Got Interesting
- Danger is Real. Fear is a Choice. Got it.
- Trailer for 'Oblivion' Take 2, Not Nearly as Spoil...
- Trailer for 'Oblivion': "Earth is a Memory" -- or ...
- Speaking of 'Oblivion'
- Poster for 'Oblivion'
- 13-Minute Primer for 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Jo...
- Japanese Trailer for 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Has...
- Latest from Joseph Gordon-Levitt's 'Don Jon's Addi...
- Yeah, It's Actually Good
- I Own You
- That Pixar Lamp
- Jude Law Isn't a Doctor But He Plays One in 'Side ...
- Captain Planet 4
- ▼ December (48)
- ► 2011 (1761)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)