Is this trailer for the same movie as the first trailer was? First trailer came off stock and cartoonish. With questionable CGI and sterile action it was generally laughed at and bloggers cringed at what this flick might turn out to be.
This Super Bowl spot, though, clicks.
By the :05 mark we see the new focus -- people in harm's way. A kid, sitting in the family car stuck in traffic, calmly watches as an alien projectile heads straight for him. The projectile strikes, burrowing deep into the freeway, wreaking havoc, tossing vehicles. Luckily, our little boy survives, wide-eyed. The message is clear: The threat is to us, not to ships made of steel, and the effect is we care. All within five seconds. These people mean business.
It doesn't stop there. Next, at sea, a worried Liam Neeson watches a strange disturbance from the command center of a battleship. He comes off much better than in the first trailer, in which his barking was (in context, at least) a bit hackneyed and by-the-numbers. We only see him for a second, possibly due to overexposure of late, but Neeson looks great. You'd think the producers realized, after 'The Grey', that heartfelt portrayals work, even in genre movies. And, yes, we care.
After that, more projectiles crash into office buildings, and the message 'The Battle For Earth' makes it clear what's going on. Certainly, we knew, or had guessed as much. We get it -- the stakes are high. However at :28 comes the clarifying and central imagery -- an alien in a suit produces a mechanized knife and prepares to attack a woman who is very vulnerable indeed, bent over looking back at him. Well done, we can care about this more than metal machines shooting at each other from miles away. A good move, post-Transformers.
So, the threat is close at hand, a few feet away. It's in our faces. But, if all this is too touchy-feely, we're reminded it all 'Begins At Sea' (:31), and once again the nuts-and-bolts boilerplate imagery is about fighting machinery guided by masked, anonymous pilots. After this baseline commercial eye candy has been reiterated we get back on message at (:50) -- you can't win a war with machines, you gotta to send infantry, there has to be boots on the ground. We're engaged in a bit of mano a mano between our main man Taylor Kitsch and a Cylon-esque bad guy. It doesn't last, though -- Rihanna man-euvers a very phallic 5-inch main-gun and blows Mr. Space Invader away in a ridiculous (Sorry, you can't point a gun at your own deck [if you could it would
have been done accidentally a bunch of times] because a) that would kill
everyone on deck and b) would likely sink the ship, but let's not split
hairs) bit that is sure to fuel rampant word-of-mouth (among both boys and girls) and float 'Battleship' for a solid second weekend. We may giggle a bit but, alas, we also care.
Overall, a much better effort than the first trailer. If everyone has forgotten that, this new ad bodes well for the movie. Still, though, you have to wonder what exactly a battleship can do to stop far superior combat hardware from a distant planet. Well. That would be the crux of the story, yes? Just how do we deal with these invaders? Give them a virus their immune systems can't fight? -- been done. That element, whatever it is, if it works, is what this movie is riding on. If that plot point snaps into place smartly we'll like the movie. If not, we'll condemn it. I'm not sure the box office take would be different either way, though.
It remains to be seen whether writers Erich Hoeber and Jon Hoeber conjured up a winner, but I'm far more optimistic than I was after the first trailer. I can honestly say I care. I'm not swept off my feet, mind you -- it is summer popcorn after all -- but I like 'Battleship' a lot more than before.
If you've only seen the first trailer, check the new one out.
- Clips from 'Silent House' -- Shot in One Take!
- Hard-Sell TV Spot for 'Silent House'
- 'Neighborhood Watch' Trailer
- More Logic: by David Poland
- 'The Avengers' Trailer
- Prometheus Viral: Guy Pearce's TED 2023 Talk
- 'The Deep Blue Sea' Trailer/Poster
- Super Slow Motion Owl from Prey's POV
- 'The Avengers' Rollout Continues with Beautiful Ch...
- New Poster for 'The Avengers'!!! And...a new Poste...
- New Stills from 'Wrath of the Titans' vs Old Still...
- Jimmy Kimmel's 'Movie: The Movie' -- The Best Thin...
- Poster for 'The Scratist'
- New Rampart Featurette
- The New (Secretly Plotting) Reese Witherspoon
- 'The Raven' Rolls out a Nice TV Spot
- Friday Fluff: Michael Barryte on Rewriting 'Star W...
- New 'John Carter' Preview/Extended Scene
- 'MiB3' Still -- Josh Brolin and Will Smith Haggle ...
- Cue Lute Music -- Story Placards for Pixar's Brave...
- Pixar's 'Brave' Character Images/Posters
- New 'Act of Valor' Trailer/Featurette/Recruitment ...
- 2 New Clips from Woody Harrelson's 'Rampart'
- Must-See Trailers/Poster for Kang Je-kyu's WWII Ep...
- Movies Directed by Women not Nominated for Oscars ...
- 'John Carter' Poster by Hopko
- Poster for 'Starlet'
- Trailer for 'Greedy Lying Bastards'
- 'Greedy Lying Bastards' Poster
- Cinematic Video for 'Bright Lights' by Gary Clark ...
- Red Band Clips from 'Goon'
- 'A Cat in Paris' Opening Sequence
- Glenn Close Talks 'Albert Nobbs'
- I'm in Love with this new Poster for 'Rampart'
- New Trailer for 'Wrath of the Titans', now with Mo...
- Clip from 'Brave'
- Trailer for '4:44 Last Day on Earth'
- Bursting Squib Featurette for 'Act of Valor'
- The Sound Editing of 'Drive'
- Sam Mendes Shares a bit of 'Skyfall'
- New Teaser Poster for 'Brave'
- New Clips from 'Act of Valor'
- French Poster for Guy Pearce's 'Lockout'
- 'Good for Nothing' Trailer/Poster/Reviews
- 'MIB3' Teaser Poster
- French Poster for 'Battleship'
- Poster for Julie Delpy's '2 Days in New York'
- Mondo's Poster for 'John Carter' by JC Richard Giv...
- Netflix Deals with TWC, gets 'The Artist' Exclusiv...
- Trailer with an Undercurrent for 'Electrick Childr...
- Poster for Tim Burton's 'Frankenweenie'
- International Trailer for Jason Statham's 'Safe'
- Poster for 'Piranha 3DD'
- 'Bel Ami' Gets a Fair Poster
- James Franco, Heather Graham, and Ashley Hinshaw i...
- Sean Penn's 'This Must Be The Place', Great Poster...
- 'The Amazing Spider-Man' vs. The Amazing Doorman: ...
- 4 Clips from Paul Dano and Robert De Niro's 'Being...
- Trailer for Helen Mirren's 'The Door'
- Another Still from 'La Luna'
- 'Black Gold' Finally gets a Good Poster
- International Poster for Luc Besson's 'The Lady'
- Poster for Dakota Fanning's 'Now is Good'
- Clip from '21 Jump Street'
- 'The Lorax' Taylor Swift Trailer/Featurette
- 97 Images from 'John Carter'. No. Really.
- Red Band Trailer for 'Wanderlust'
- Poster for Guy Pearce's 'Lockout'
- Movie Minutiae: 'Crimson Tide', Lipizzaner Horses,...
- New 'Act of Valor' Featurette/Trailer/Recruitment ...
- Very Cool Trailer for 'Headhunters' (Hodejegerne)
- Another Threat-Free Clip from 'John Carter'
- Clip from 'John Carter'
- New Trailer for Clive Owen's 'Intruders'
- SPOILER-Filled Preview/Trailer for 'Taken 2'
- Very Shaky Clip from 'Brake'
- 'Tomorrow, When the War Began' Trailer
- Netflix One-Ups HBO with 'Orange is the New Black'...
- Trailer for Halle Berry's 'Dark Tide'
- Red Band Trailer for 'Friends with Kids'
- Featurette for 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter'
- 2nd Clip from Pixar's 'La Luna'
- New App Streams Time/Warner Cable Content to Your ...
- Aniston/Rudd Talk 'Wanderlust' and Stuff in GQ Mar...
- Jennifer Aniston and Paul Rudd Cover GQ
- Trailer for '96 Minutes'
- New Poster for '96 Minutes'
- 2nd Featurette for 'Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengean...
- Hitler's 'Iron Sky' Rant
- 'John Carter' Trailer/Featurette
- Watch First 5 Minutes of Woody Harrelson's 'Rampar...
- Dumbed-Down International Poster for 'Act of Valor...
- Trailer for 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter'
- (Red Band) Clips from 'The Raid'
- Making Glenn Close into Albert Nobbs
- Betsy Sharkey Reviews 'The Vow'
- Gwyneth Paltrow Covers Harper's Bazaar
- Clip from 'Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance'
- New Poster for 'The Raid'
- New Edit for 'The Raid' Trailer
- Must See Trailer for 'Seeking a Friend for the End...
- Watch the Oscar Nominated Animated Short 'The Fant...
- New Clips from 'Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance'
- Watch Nine Sugar-Coated Minutes from 'This Means W...
- New TV Trailer for 'John Carter'
- Just Who is Tobin Frost? Latest 'Safe House' Trail...
- Totally Wow! Trailer for 'Iron Sky'
- Clip from Woody Harrelson's 'Rampart'
- Ultra-Sharp Trailer for 'The Bourne Legacy'
- Poster for 'The Bourne Legacy'
- Poster for 'Seeking a Friend for the End of the Wo...
- Poster for Nacho Vigalondo's 'Extraterrestrial'
- "The Woody Allen of Science Fiction" -- Trailer fo...
- New Trailer for 'The Amazing Spider-Man'
- New Trailer and Poster for 'Apart'
- Scorpion Beer -- The Official Beer of Armando Alva...
- Trailer for 'The Last Will and Testament of Rosali...
- Poster for 'The Last Will and Testament of Rosalin...
- Super Bowl Trailer for 'Battleship'. Is This The S...
- Epic Trailer for HBO's 'Hemingway & Gellhorn'
- Poster for Sarah Polley's 'Take This Waltz'
- Charming Trailer for Sarah Polley's 'Take This Wal...
- LP Portraits
- Ode to Bill Murray's 'Groundhog Day'
- 'Iron Sky' Gets a Poster
- Opening Scene from 'The Woman in Black'
- Trailer for Sean Bean's 'Cleanskin'
- New Clip from 'Safe House'
- Jeremy Jahns Reviews 'The Woman in Black'
- Charlize Theron's Gaze
- Richard Roeper Reviews 'The Innkeepers'
- Character Posters for 'Red Lights'
- Teaser for Halle Berry's 'Dark Tide'
- Jeremy Jahns Reviews the White-Hot 'Chronicle'
- NYT Anatomy of a Scene: 'The Woman in Black'
- Arresting Poster for Clive Owen's 'Intruders'
- Poster/Trailer for 'When the Lights Went Out'
- New (UK) Poster for 'Margin Call'
- Super Bowl Trailer for 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation'
- One More 'Chronicle' Trailer
- The Ladies
- Poster for 'Disconnect'
- Poster for 'Get the Gringo' aka 'How I Spent My Su...
- Trailer for 'Get the Gringo' aka 'How I Spent My S...
- 'Red Lights' Trailer, Take 2
- ▼ February (146)
- ► 2011 (1761)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)