The Neill Blomkamp stamp is apparent. In fact, 'Elysium' is almost a sequel to 'District 9'. You could just as easily call it 'District 10'.
A few parallels:
1) 'District 9' had poor and oppressed people (well, aliens) and is about class separation -- 'Elysium' has poor and oppressed people and is about class separation.
2) 'District 9' had a large spaceship that hovers above a city that nobody can get into -- 'Elysium' has a large spaceship that hovers above the Earth that very few can get into.
3) In 'District 9' the good guy is a smart mouth and kind of dumb, but likeable -- In 'Elysium' the good guy is a smarty pants and sort of stupid, but charming.
4) 'District 9' had a protagonist who was accidentally infected with an alien technology (in other words, he got a medical condition) and given a short time before he turned into a monster -- 'Elysium' has a protagonist who is accidentally irradiated (in other words, he gets a medical condition) and has a short time before he dies.
5) In 'District 9' the protag sets out on a quest to save the aliens as he slowly changes into a strange creature -- In 'Elysium' the protag sets out to save a couple people and/or everyone else after being changed into a strange creature.
6) 'District 9' had robots -- 'Elysium' has robots.
7) 'District 9' had dusty (yet sunny) slums -- 'Elysium' has dusty (yet sunny) slums.
8) 'District 9' had kind of a twisty ending. 'Elysium' has kind of a twisty ending. (Okay, I don't know that, but you can bet it will. I mean, this trailer sets up a twisty ending. Anybody can see that coming).
Here's the new trailer for 'District 10'...I mean 'Elysium'. It's the trailer for 'Elysium'. Really.
- Great New 'Europa Report' Footage
- 'Prisoners' Trailer: Like 'Se7en' But Less Comic B...
- Non-Escapist Trailer for 'Escape Plan'
- Poster for Joseph Gordon-Levitt's 'Don Jon'
- Great Trailer for 'Thanks for Sharing'
- Trailer for Ridley Scott's 'The Counselor'
- When The Trailer Itself Is A Cinematic Event: 'The...
- Tom Hodge's Poster for 'The Heat'
- Had My Doubts
- 'Drinking Buddies' Tries Too Hard To Be Your Frien...
- 'The Spectacular Now' -- Possibly A Fresh Take
- Ron Howard Talks 'Rush'
- The Greatest Photographer You Never Heard Of: Vivi...
- A Few Moments With The Bavarian Radio Symphony Orc...
- 'The Heat'. 80's Title, 80's Jokes, 80's Acting, L...
- First Look At Disney's 'Frozen'
- Wall Street Wolf
- Style Over Substance?
- Guillermo del Toro Talks Jaegers
- New Trailer for 'Elysium' aka 'District 10'
- 500k Views In One Day
- Must-Watch Time-Lapse Super Storm, Booker, Texas
- 'Snowpiercer' Trailer. Snowy, yes, but piercing? N...
- Why Does This Trailer Look So Good? -- or -- It's ...
- New 'Grabbers' Poster and Trailer
- New 'White House Down' Trailer aka Mini Movie
- 'The Battery'
- 'The Frozen Ground' Seems Solid Enough
- Trailer for 'Blue Jasmine' Directed by...Woody All...
- Brilliant New Trailer for James McAvoy's 'Filth'
- Clean Lines, Nice Hook
- 'The Family' -- Sharp, Interesting, A Little Dumb,...
- 'Getaway' Trailer
- Plasticky Trailer for 'Runner Runner'
- Oooh! Must-See Trailer for 'Insidious 2'
- B. And Proud Of It
- 'Shadow Dancer' Tap Dance
- 13 Minutes of Super Eye Candy
- ▼ June (39)
- ► 2012 (1471)
- ► 2011 (1761)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)