Monday, March 19, 2012

Hyper-Stylized New Trailer for 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter'

It's anybody's guess how this will play. Director Timur Bekmambetov is fully committed -- is that a good thing? His camera is just so busy. At times it just doesn't seem to fit with a period piece, even though we're talking vampires here.

His camera is so bad at times I couldn't watch 'Night/Day Watch' even though they were very good for what they are -- ultra-superficial, hyper-frenetic eye candy with no depth of story. (I could be wrong about the story thing as I didn't actually watch the movies, just fast-forwarded through them. Yes, I literally was unable to watch them -- they're that overly busy. So, I'm guessing, really, about the story quality. Apologies if I'm wrong on that).

'Wanted', on the other hand, I thought was excellent. Bekmambetov's style was a good fit for that material and the script/story worked, especially in regard to theme.

In this trailer we get an eye-full of Bekmambetov's camera technique. The question is: Is the story anchored enough to support all those flighty visuals? I can't make up my mind. One second, the action is almost offensive, the next I admire Bekmambetov's commitment.

I can't do this kind of flick in a theater but, if reviews are good, I might check it out on disc. If reviews are bad, it'll be another Bekmambetov I just go without seeing.
























.

No comments:

Blog Archive