Tuesday, March 12, 2013
What's Changed Exactly? -- or -- Somebody Save Us!
Yeah, I know superheroes are all 'dark' now. You can't have a regular guy go out and save the world. He has to be messed up emotionally, borderline wacko, in need of therapy. And, so that's what they're selling for the new Superman. They even go so far as to dictate: "It's time for a change." Thing is, looking at the above shot, I have to wonder what about Henry Cavill looks different from previous iterations. He's as square-jawed, slick-haired, and all-American as ever. Is there something about Amy Adams' conservative skirt, shirt or vest that says 'edgy, dark'? She couldn't look more corporate and sterile.
So, what, exactly, has changed?
We can't get a feel for plot from the cover photo of Total Film so all we're left with is the look, and that's the same as it's always been. I can't help but wonder if there's a market for this anymore.
Even the studio knew they had to take a different tack -- the word 'Superman' doesn't appear in this title. Now, it's "Man of Steel" which, really, doesn't mean much and still feels dated. It's all 'Maaaan oooof Steeeeeel!
If this take doesn't fly Superman will be shelved. Not for a few years but until the demand for hokey comes back. When will that be? Well...not 'a few years'. We just don't live in a world that even vaguely resembles the 1930s 40s or 50s.
Right now, at this point in the campaign, 'Man of Steel' is looking like a mistake. Oh, my! Can anyone save us?!
- Totally Hell Yeah Pop-o-corn '2 Guns' Trailer Rock...
- Reaction to 'World War Z' Footage
- New 'Trance' Footage
- So Dorky But, Yeah, Fun
- Cassavetes' Style
- Dash More 'Oblivion' Eye Candy
- Irritating, Watchable, Fun
- Teen-Empowerment International Trailer for 'Kick A...
- Just Not Feeling It
- 'White House Down' Trailer/Poster -- Best Thing Yo...
- 'Pain & Gain' Red Band Trailer
- Moon Goes Kablooey
- New 'Oblivion' Footage
- 'White House Down' Off To A Good Start...Sort Of
- A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Work
- 'Ender's Game' Poster
- Zombies On A Plane
- Not The Average Jason Statham Shoot-Em-Up
- Love The Poster, Okay Trailer, Must-See Doc
- 'Epic' Business
- Plenty Of Lens Flare, Lots Of Over Enunciation, An...
- 'Now You See Me' Poster
- 'Oblivion' BubbleShip
- New Trailer for 'Trance'. This Time, No Spoilers (...
- 4 Minutes Of Ridiculous, But It Keeps Moving
- 'Trance' Featurette
- We Need Monsters, Not Monstrous People
- The Photography of Angelo Musco
- Like It's For A Different Movie
- The Thing About 'Trance' (Possible Spoilers)
- Another Snippet From 'Trance'
- 'Alpha Papa' (Yes, That's Really The Title)
- Portraits of Catherine Zeta-Jones and George Cloon...
- Doesn't Try Too Hard
- Nice Way To End The Day -- Space Time-Lapse
- The Kickstarter Thing -- 'Veronica Mars'
- Van Halen At The Movies
- New 'Oblivion' Footage
- Not Bad
- 'Kick Ass 2' --or-- The Opposite of Superman
- 'The Silence'
- What's Changed Exactly? -- or -- Somebody Save Us!...
- Trailer for SXSW Doc 'Hawking'
- 'Spring Breakers' Clip-O-The-Day
- Eye Candy Of The Highest Order
- Ridiculous or Fun?
- Homemade Trailer for 'Iron Man 3'
- 'Trance' Clip
- Screamingly Good
- New 'To The Wonder' Trailer Really Has That Malick...
- Red Band Trailer for 'Dead Man Down'
- I Might Watch This One
- Another Look at 'Stoker'
- The New Mumblecore, Except Good
- 'Broken Side of Time'
- Again With The Hand Coming Out Of The Mouth?
- Oh, Come On. As If You Had Something Better To Do
- Spot-On, Dialed-In Trailer for 'The Look of Love'
- If The Forests Die, We Die. Got It
- 'Starting Over with Brooke Shields'
- Mesmerizing 'Choros'
- A Compelling Iron Man(s)?
- Like The Cover Of A Novel
- Almost Sterile, But Nice...Sort Of
- Best Marketing Of The Year So Far
- Go Ahead. Laugh. You Know You Want To
- Jennifer Lawrence Falls(!!!!!!!!!!)
- Must-Watch Trailer for 'Disconnect'
- Might Be Too Smart
- ▼ March (71)
- ► 2012 (1471)
- ► 2011 (1761)
- ► 2010 (1073)
- ► 2008 (424)
- ► 2007 (469)