Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Death Race Red Bad...Oh, Sorry...Band, Red Band Trailer

As if it wasn't bad enough to witness Joan Allen deliver lines like "Release the Dreadnought" and "Activiate weapons" this trailer then proceeds to unspool one of the cheesiest action sequences I've ever seen.

The swirling, aerial, crash zoom, zip pan camera work does nothing to embellish the scene. In fact, it just seems a tad desperate -- as if they thought nutty camera tricks would magically transform this bit into compelling action. In the end all they managed was a mindlessly frenetic, barely cohesive, and tedious quick-cut visual mishmash.

Sound editing is just as ham-fisted. But, here at least, there is a utilitarian motive. Due to masterful level control, each 'ugh', 'umph', and 'aaaargh!!!' uttered by the hapless contestants can be heard with such clarity over rocket fire, grinding gears, rent metal, and the corresponding and inevitable fire-ball explosions, it's as if these disposable movie victims had conveniently crawled inside my ears to utter their protests while pounding their very fists upon my eardrums as they meet their imaginative yet predictable demise. However, as I said, there is a certain utility to this type of sound editing. How else could we hear such perfectly cut gems of dialogue as 'Jesus Christ!' and 'Fuck me!' if the ambient screeching wasn't lowered and controlled with neat virtuosity and deft timing as is on display in this clip? We might very well be left scratching our heads wondering why anyone would say 'Fud me' right before being impaled or shot or crushed or otherwise terminated.

Photo: still from Death Race

I had liked the trailers for 'Death Race' a lot and was planning on seeing it ASAP. But, after the above clip...I'll just hold off for a couple years or so and pick up a copy on DVD in the 2 for 1 bin at my local used video barn.

To the sound editors who made whispered dialogue as booming as a 50-caliber machine gun, I tip my hat. For you film editors who made this clip barely understandable...kudos. You, ladies and gentlemen, are at the top of your form, at the peak of your practice, at the very highest level of accomplishment. Now, please excuse me while I swab the blood from my ears and attempt to reassemble what's left of my shattered sensibilities.

I'm sorry. Did you say something? I didn't catch that. Hmm? You'll have to speak up.

No comments:

Blog Archive