Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What's On?

Anne Thompson mentioned Joost has announced a deal to distribute original content by several producers. I've been watching this new industry develop with great interest -- largely because I don't watch TV (and don't see movies in theaters) and am looking for viable alternatives. I just can't deal with commercials and adhering to the networks' schedules. Why should I watch Letterman late at night when I'd rather watch his shows (or select parts of his shows) on the weekend (don't get me started on going to movie theaters).

So get TiVo, you say. No thanks. I've already invested in my internet connection and latest computers and, well, don't own a TV (except for this little B&W thingy I got at Radio Shack for $40). I'm not interested in spending money on a technology that's history. I'm convinced the net is the main way we're going to be accessing media in a few more years -- including getting movies and TV shows.

Anyway, I was glad to hear Joost is broadening its scope. Here's a look at other emerging venues.

AOL just announced a deal to produce web programming with partners such as Mark Burnett and DreamWorks Animation.

The Joost deal adds content from ALL3MEDIA International, IndieFlix, September Films, and others to their already impressive lineup. (I'd love to get Joost but it's by invitation only and I haven't managed to wrangle one. Dang).

Then, there's the video sites like AtomFilms. I find a lot of cool shorts on Atom, but I can't see this type of site staying around much longer in their current configuration. I'd look for the addition of other content, possibly original serial programming, down the road.

Of course there's the movie download sites. These will really give movie theaters a run for their money in the next few years. For instance, CinemaNow offers movies for download for less than the retail cost of a DVD, and (really), for less than the cost of seeing a movie at a theater.

What about TV network programming? ABC is making its shows available online. The picture is on the small side and doesn't have great resolution, but you can watch shows like Lost and Grey's Anatomy anytime you want -- a huge step in the right direction. I didn't like NBC's or CBS's interface or picture as much, but at least the content is available.

Lonely GirlI believe LonelyGirl15 was the first widely-viewed webisode serial -- it was quickly imitated by Michael Eisner's Prom Queen, the 80 episode psych-thriller playing 90 seconds at a time (episode 17 was just released).

Then, there's the producers that are sidestepping traditional distribution altogether and showing original films online such as FearNet.com and Sam Raimi's Ghosthouse. FearNet's content is not wide-release quality and Ghosthouse only has a few shorts, but the potential of this kind of direct marketing can't be denied. It's just a matter of time before Raimi (or someone else) releases a major feature-length movie online before sending it to theaters (if they bother with sending it to theaters at all).

That's a lot of stuff (and just the tip of the iceberg) and most of it has become available in the last year or so. One thing can't be denied -- the lay-out for the motion picture and TV industries is changing fast. To me, this whole scene is more exciting than traditional Hollywood studio pictures/distribution, and I'll be following it closely.

For now, I can't resist offering some free advice -- you might want to put off buying that national chain of movie theaters or TV stations for a bit.

No comments:

Blog Archive