Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Vudu Rundown


Katherine Boehret over at All Things Digital gave the online movie service a test run:

I downloaded two romantic comedies: 'Music and Lyrics,' starring Hugh Grant, a $4 rental, and a Diane Keaton movie called 'Because I Said So,' which I bought for $20. I also rented 'Zodiac,' a suspense movie starring Jake Gyllenhaal, for $4. Movies that you own never expire, but rented flicks must be watched within 30 days and expire 24 hours after you start watching.

Aren't those prices essentially what you pay for rental/purchase at a store? I'm not sure how that's competitive. Katherine continues:

As is, its lackluster selection, high prices and slow downloads make it more of a letdown than anything else.

Unless you live several miles from a store that sells and/or rents DVDs, or you don't own a car and the only way you can get to such an outlet is by cliffside goat trail, I don't see why anyone would want one of these boxes. But still, I think there's a great future for online movie services...someday...somebody's going to get it right.


No comments:

Blog Archive