Friday, November 12, 2010

Blue Skies Over Los Angeles


The song used in the trailer for 'Battle: Los Angeles' seems to be a take on 'Blue Skies':

Blue skies smilin' at me
Nothin' but blue skies do I see
Bluebirds singin' a song
Nothin' but bluebirds all day long

Words are twisted, unintelligible, and have an ominous robotic sound, but the pitches and rhythm are very close. Tune morphs into a searing symphonic grind as the alien attack intensifies.

It's a dark joke. This bit of Americana which has been covered by Bing Crosby, Willie Nelson, and Louis Armstrong twisted into an anthem of invasion, perhaps meant to be blasted over loud-speakers from alien gunships as psychological warfare. The new lyrics might be:

Blue skies screaming at me
Nothing but raining fire do I see
Attack ships dropping bombs
Nothing but bombing all day long

How those words would sound in the new global language, post invasion, I'm not sure. I guess they would sound like they do in the song used in the trailer.





No comments:

Blog Archive