Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Okay, Okay

My Blueberry Nights

Wong Kar Wai's 'My Blueberry Nights' opened Cannes. Anne Thompson liked it a lot, saying "...My Blueberry Nights is a delicious mood poem, a visually stunning ode to the lips of Norah Jones and Jude Law...". Wow, Anne. That sounds great. No, wait...really really great.

Jeff Wells, however, did not like it so much, calling the movie "...a horribly written, woefully banal self-discovery mood piece...". (Cool, they both use the word mood to describe this movie). Anyway, banal is bad, but banal in a manner which is woeful is...um...very bad. No wait, really really bad. Wells continues to point out that he couldn't remember the last time a movie co-written by a major director was so bad, citing the fact that many of the lines of dialogue in 'My Blueberry Nights' start with the word 'sometimes'.

Wells also did not like the camera work and/or the editing, pointing out that there is shot of melted ice cream on blueberry pie, which is nothing but a 'heavy-handed allusion (of) semen making its way through a woman's inner cavity'. Sounds like it. Would advise against the use of any such allusions.

Read Wells' entire review plus dozens of insightful reader comments over at Hollywood-Elsewhere.

I must say, these diametrically opposed opinions make me curious. I'm hoping for a delicious mood poem (nice turn of phrase Anne), but if 'My Blueberry Nights' turns out to be (sigh) woefully banal, well then, that would be a shame -- we're surrounded by so much banality already. It's everywhere.

No comments:

Blog Archive